Support for policies
In this section, I noted a series of proposals from the campaign trail. Some were from the President-elect, some from other candidates including Secretary Clinton. Some were worries that I’ve heard from people, and some I just made up, to act as a control. In the table below, I list the questions in the order they appeared, and the options in the order they appeared. The numbers represent the number of people that selected each option; an individual row may add up to less than 23 if a respondent chose to not answer a question.
|Highest priority||High priority||priority||Low priority||Not a priority, but it’d be nice if it happened||I do not support this policy|
|Building the wall||1||5||1||5||8||2|
|Deporting illegal immigrants||3||8||8||1||2||1|
|Having Muslims register with the government||1||5||4||2||0||9|
|Making college free||2||3||1||6||2||8|
|Ending violence against police||16||5||2||0||0||0|
|Ending violence against black people and people of color||14||4||3||1||1||0|
|Making gay marriage illegal||0||0||0||1||1||19|
|Restricting abortion access||0||2||2||4||3||9|
|Putting gay youth in conversion therapy||0||0||0||3||2||16|
|“Extreme vetting” of immigrants/refugees||5||5||4||5||2||1|
|Having transgender people use the bathroom of their gender assigned at birth||3||2||3||4||3||7|
|Creating a partnership with Russia||8||4||4||2||4||0|
|Eliminating the US Department of Education||1||2||3||4||3||10|
|Supporting development of green energy, like solar panels||4||8||6||2||2||0|
Some of this is unsurprising; I believe it’s a somewhat universal human desire to lessen conflict and violence, so I am unsurprised to learn that most of the respondents want to reduce violence against police and people of color. It’s also unsurprising that people want to defeat ISIS, and want to have enough jobs for people. I think where we (partisan people/groups) differ is how we go about doing these things, and where we prioritize these.
This is shown even among respondents that there is dissidence as to the urgency/priority level, and even if people agree on certain issues. For example, even though all respondents want to end violence against both police officers and people of color, a small number prioritize ending violence against police above ending violence against people of color.
Another example is creating a partnership with Russia; no one thinks that it should not happen, but for some it is a high priority, while for others it would be a happy coincidence.
In addition to this section, I had a space for people to submit their own priorities if they were not addressed in the above section, as it was not even close to being an exhaustive policy list. Eleven people submitted responses naming their own priorities, and those responses appear below, unedited. As you’ll notice with these answers, I really failed to address economic issues in the section above, and that might be an area where other people might find it interesting to examine. Answers below:
- Restructuring tax code, protecting second amendment rights
- I think abortion should be legal even though I don’t support it. I do wish our tax dollars didn’t go to it! Abortion should cost way more than it does.
- Build the strongest military of any country in the world, decreasing our debt, bringing manufacturing back to the US, taxing imports, not importing from countries that do not buy American products- this is among a few. as for some of above they could not be answered with a yes or no answer so I left them balnk
- Having a radical leader who will focus on change and what can bring our country together. He is trying to help Americans and not force them into anything. Americans, who have worked hard to earn their membership and rights here, and he cannot take those rights away. This will not happen.
- Make the economy strong, create jobs, get rid of the cronie-ism going on in our govt
- Supporting the constitution
Supporting the Second Amendment
- affordable medical care for all, fund social security, improve education
- “Political correctness” it’s an ugly and emerging ideology. Pretty much facism pretending to be manners.
- Economics and technology, freedom from stupid regulations
- When minorities according to FBI crime statistics are the biggest killers of minorities why is it a black vs white problem and not a how can whites help blacks police and take care of their own community? Tolo rance of the past few years behavior should not be tolerated by ANY community.